Wednesday, July 21, 2010

i love my dog.

A few months ago I noticed a strange bump on my dog Charlie's forehead, just over one eye. At first I assumed he'd run into something (he tends to do that when he's really excited, which is often). When the bump was still there a few days later, I had a vet check it out. She essentially told me to watch it for a few days and if it was still there she'd have to sedate him in order to take a needle aspirate...even though he'd quite calmly taken four different shots on his last trip there.

After being in denial about the bump for awhile, I finally took Charlie to a new vet yesterday, where I was blissfully NOT made to feel guilty for my dog being large and unruly and where it didn't seem that everything was ridiculously overpriced (that's another story). The new vet was troubled by the bump and felt it best to go ahead and remove it and have it checked out. One toenail trim (including fixing and caring for an ingrown toenail), one physical exam, one annual heartworm shot, one sedation, one needle aspirate, one mass removal, and six months worth of Heartguard and Frontline later, I was presented with my banged up but lump free dog, a full explanation in normal person guilt-free and non-salesman language from a much liked vet, and a bill that was just under the cost of a physical exam, two shots, and the same meds from previous vet. Needless to say, Charlie and I have found a better vet.

My poor pup looks like he's been in a fight with Mike Tyson AND his tiger, and it's likely that the bump contained something nasty and unhealthy (think the C word), but even if that turns out to be the case, it feels great to have him back home with the scary stuff gone. I really, really love this guy.

Today I'm grateful for:

The companionship of my best (albeit canine) friend and the knowledge that I've done what's necessary to keep him healthy.

Organized bills and recycling (two things that often tend to take over my space).

Successful attempts at new recipes.

A Coke over ice. Yeah, this doesn't sound like anything big, but I drink, on average, around 24 sodas per year...so a cold Coke to me is akin to candy.

Parents, grandparents and a sister who are always there for me with sympathy, encouragement and support.

1 comment:

Susie S said...

Love a coke over ice! Also, please share about this new vet. We've tried a few...