Sunday, July 18, 2010

fried chicken and smokey and the bandit.

A few things I've been grateful for over the course of the weekend:

A lazy rainy Friday night in. It's been awhile since I've been able to just sink into my couch, take a deep breath, and do...not much of anything. I truly am so grateful to serve as a bed and breakfast for an endless stream of family and good friends from out of town, but every now and then it's nice to have a few precious weekend hours to myself.

The opportunity to represent my University. You know you're in the right job when you have to come in on Saturday and you don't mind a bit, since the work load consists of hanging out in the Grove and at the Student Union talking up Ole Miss and snagging free lunch (even though I was so busy gabbing I never got around to the lunch part).

The Oxford Square. After my stint at "work," I headed up to the Square to check out the Oxford Maker's Market. There really just isn't anything like the Square...artists selling their wares on one side, small kids giddily gobbling up mountains of frozen yogurt and toppings on the other. Dogs dragging their owners along for a walk. Pretty coeds in tee shirts with messy ponytails and buns, foreign tourists snapping photos of the Courthouse, relaxed conversations between friends over coffee above it all on the Square Books balcony.

A slow morning with hot coffee in hand and rain outside the window.

Homemade fried chicken and Smokey and the Bandit. Hard not to love homemade fried chicken, but it was even better in combination with a movie that transported me a bit to another time and place and made me remember how it felt to be a young kid in the South. What a great evening...

1 comment:

Casey said...

wow, it's incredible what Oxford can do to you. your post makes me try to forget how great it is so I won't miss it so much. You must know how lucky you are!