Friday, July 17, 2009

go figure.

It probably won't be a surprise to anyone that I've already hit a financial roadblock before my budgeting project has even begun. That's how life works, right?

A couple of days ago Charlie (my monstrous Airedale Terrier, for those who might not know) got a little bit sick. I won't go into details, as I presume that very few readers want to know the details. He's fine, nothing serious, but...when we got to the vet's office I had to face the fact that he's overdue for yearly vaccinations. And then face the fact that on top of original minor health issue, he also has an ear infection. And then face the fact that no matter how great they are, dogs are NOT cheap.

Six months to a year ago or so I would have burst into tears as soon as I was back in the car. An unexpected expense like this would have meant having to ask for help with a monthly bill. So at least it was a pleasant experience to drive Charles back home a little disheartened, but secure in the knowledge that an unexpected expense no longer leaves me sidelined at home, eating ramen noodles and wondering how I'm going to make that car payment, etc. Add to that the fact that I'm about to get half off my next rent check (for resigning my lease...I don't love where I live, but it was an offer I couldn't refuse), and I'm at least back to square one, if not still a little bit ahead.

Still, I find that the shadow cast by the budget restrictions looming ahead of me is causing some interesting side affects. Everything on the Anthropologie website suddenly looks irresistible. The thought of going home and cooking something with the groceries I've bought (already on a practice budget) just doesn't compare to the mouth-watering lure of a dinner out on the Square. I just find myself wanting to SPEND. Will this go away?

No comments: