Sunday, July 12, 2009

the b word...

No, not that one. I'm talking about....dum dum DUM...a budget. As in, starting in August, I am going to begin following one. I'm sure this will provide a whole new world of topics to blog about, so hopefully you'll bear with me.

At present, the only "budget" that I keep is basically as follows: I get paid twice a month. And twice a month, I pay half of my monthly rent, bills, and expenses. Then I just...live. I buy groceries. I go to lunch with friends. I gas up my car for a weekend trip to Florence. I buy the odd item of clothing. I don't spend like crazy...at the grocery store I often avoid the expensive cheeses. I go out with a friend and order a beer instead of a glass of wine or a martini. I browse a clothing website and then steer myself to navigate away from it without placing an order. More often that not I'm relatively pleased with the amount of money left at the end of the two weeks. But I don't have a PLAN.

So I was inspired today during a long drive with a friend. Char has, from a financial standpoint (among others), always impressed me. She went to college with very little outside assistance. She needed her financial aid, and very rarely did she abuse it. Given the option between a part time job or another loan, she chose the job. When it came to using a credit card, Char treated it just like a checking account, never charging more money than she would have available to pay at the end of the month. When we graduated from college, Char seemed to have her student loans paid off in no time. And for the past several months, she and her hubby have dutifully followed a very specific budget.

In Charlotte's budget, if you habitually spend money on something once a month, every three months, etc....there's an allotment for it. And that six pack of beer? That's not groceries, that's entertainment. There's no sliding things that have fuzzy lines into larger chunks of the budget.

This does not sound fun to me. In fact, this sounds like something that requires a dreadful amount of time and attention and THOUGHT. I mounted a fierce attempt to poke holes in my friend's reasoning during our trip. But it's so much harder to grocery shop for one person! And I'm in a long distance relationship, so since we only see each other on the weekends, it's important for our relationship to make those weekends special (aka, often expensive). I can't really just create ONE budget that works for me all year long, because I spend more and less depending on what I'm involved in during various parts of the year. Char calmly and patiently shot down every excuse I provided. Because, yes, that's what they are. Excuses. I CAN figure out a realistic grocery budget for one person, I just have to take the time to pay attention to what I'm buying, how long it lasts, and how much it all costs. And yes, of course my weekend time with the fella is special, but it's special because it's the time we get to have together, not because we go out to eat multiple times/stay at the bar longer than we intend to/convince each other that it's really OK to buy those sunglasses, that scarf, that CD. It's no less special when we buy a bottle of cheap wine, cook an inexpensive dinner at home, and just hang out on the porch listening to music and talking. And finally, yes, it's definitely true that I spend more at certain times of the year...like on presents for family and friends at Christmas, and less at others, like groceries during football season (hosting a house full of football fans is beneficial when they tend to leave copious amounts of tasty leftovers from the Grove). As Char pointed out, that's the beauty of the budget. During the easier months, you hopefully wind up with surpluses in one or two categories. Those surpluses can then be tucked away to get you through the more expensive times, or put on top of debt based monthly payments.

In the end...Char wins. She'll be sending along her handy-dandy Excel worksheet, and I'll be starting a new punishment...I mean, project...

I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah Katie! I am excited for you. But did Char tell you who she got the Excel worksheet from?? Mark...the genius! Michele

Molliemcmillin@gmail.com said...

Pass the worksheets to me!

Katie said...

As an editor's note...yes, I did forget to include Mark as the genesis of this whole budgeting movement. Merci, Mark! I'll be using Char's variation of it, as it sounds like a better fit for my expenses and spending habits. We'll see how it works! Mollie, I'll definitely forward you a copy. Maybe if more of my friends are following one, I'll have a better chance of success with it.

Lisa Blair said...

I use mint.com. You have to share your bank password with them, but then they categorize all of your spending for you. Then you can set limits for each category. You might try it out if you find the spreadsheet doesn't work for you.

I love it, and I have even been thinking about using it exclusively and not doing a weekly checkbook balance. (Everyone thinks I'm crazy when I tell them I still write everything down and balance my checkbook.)

Good luck, Katie! You can do this!

Liz and Jeff said...

Good luck Katie! It is a bit overwhelming at first, but when you start to see your savings add up, it is so worth it and then you can take a bit of the extra after a while and treat yourself! We have separate ING accounts for excess money outside of the budget, that way it doesn't sit in our bank account tempting us. ;) It doesn't cost anything to set them up and it is easy to transfer money back and forth. We have an account specifically for traveling, and one for emergency money (meaning one of us loses our job and we can't make house payment or something). We also have accounts through our investment center with our retirement and then two regular investment accounts for savings (one short term and one long term). It takes a while to figure out what works best for you, but once you figure it out, it will be worth it. Jeff also uses an excel spreadsheet and while we have had to make adjustments over the years, it helps us stay reasonable. We also put all of our expenses on one credit card and then pay it off in full at the end of the month. It earns us miles on AA which helps us travel, but it also puts everything in one place. That is what works best for us. ;)

Much luck to you!!!!! Liz