Tuesday, June 22, 2010

gratitude.

I suck at gratitude. Really, I do. I sometimes have a hard time expressing gratitude to those closest to me, and I couldn't even really tell you why. Likewise, I often find that I have a hard time keeping myself focused on the positive things in my life. It's just so easy to get bogged down in the difficult stuff...lost relatives, breakups, financial burdens, health issues, etc.

A few years ago my Mom referenced an Oprah show (of course) in which Oprah and a guest discussed keeping gratitude journals, essentially pausing during or at the end of each day to reflect and jot down five or so things they were grateful for in the past 24 hours. I passed this off as being somewhat new age and goofy, the power of positive thinking and all that.

In my old age, however, I'm beginning to change my mind a little. Maybe there really IS something to the art of forcing yourself to think positively. I've been thinking that perhaps it would do me good to spend a little time focusing on the positive things, both small and large. And that means you, dear readers, are going to be exposed to it...

Today I am grateful for:

Fresh raspberries brought back from a family friend's garden in Florence. They made for a fabulous breakfast this morning mixed with whipped vanilla yogurt.

An unexpected financial windfall, albeit a small one. Apparently the upside to living in an old beat up apartment is that you get your security deposit back so long as you don't bash a great big hole in the wall or something. I've lived in plenty of apartments, duplexes, rental homes, etc, and put down plenty of deposits. I've never gotten a single one back, so I absolutely wasn't expecting this! Definitely a nice surprise, and an answered prayer for sure.

Guilty pleasure television. Say what you want, but there's no better way to top off an extended work day, a busy grocery trip, and an evening of cleaning than a lounge on the couch and new episodes of The Hills and The City.

The wonderful sound of a relieved mother laughing delightedly after I explained her daughter's financial aid eligibility and proved that she'll have enough money to make it work (and in the meantime looked up Paris's province for her, since the daughter needed it to list place of birth on her application). Definitely worth staying late.

My first michelada of the Summer (beer, lime juice, a shot of Zing Zang over plenty of ice).

Cheers!

3 comments:

Lisa Blair said...

I like this post, Katie. Reminding yourself of all the good things in your life is a great way to get out of a funk. I don't do it enough.

Chip and I had shandies (beer & lemonade) a few weeks ago, and they were so good. I've never had a michelada. We'll have share one when I'm in town next. I think we are both coming up the weekend of July 4th.

Casey said...

what kind of beer do you recommend with your michelada? where did that drink come from?

Katie said...

Lisa: So sorry we couldn't catch up, I was in Florence for the holiday. Let me know when you'll be back...I also need to make a trip down in your direction.

Casey: A family friend from Mexico was the first person to make a michelada for me, according to him it's a pretty common drink in Mexico, or at least in his area. He made it with Corona, and while I use mexican cerveza if that's an option, I've been known to make them in the Grove with whatever's handy...Coors Light, for example. Still tasty!