Monday, June 30, 2008

This is what I'm wearing today.


I'm fairly certain that Jo Malone Vetyver cologne is intended for men, but so what. The first time I got a sniff I was in New Orleans wasting away a wonderful Saturday afternoon with friends by wandering around Saks Fifth Avenue and dream shopping. I love how the Jo Malone fragrances are displayed in stores (and previously online as an interactive menu, though I was irked that as of late this is no longer so) as a semicircle spectrum grouped by category, with the florals blending into the citrus, etc. There's something about it that makes for a great learning experience in terms of discovering what it is about certain scents that appeals to you. I was looking for something of a Statement Scent, a night out type of thing that would in no way be mistaken for my shampoo, baby powder, etc. I thought I wanted a heady floral, and wound up with Vetyver instead. The website touts it as "a modern interpretation of a spicy, aromatic classic. Vetiver, the legendary scent of India, is blended with sweet orange, nutmeg and tarragon to create this powerful, mysterious fragrance."

And it IS powerful. Be prepared. It's definitely not one of those scents that will smell lovely but blend in with those of other females around you. The website Now Smell This (a must for perfume lovers) seems to have only one complaint regarding most of the Jo Malone scents, which would be staying power. It IS a cologne, anyway. However, the first time I wore it around my fella he commented on how great I smelled AFTER dinner and an evening out at the bar, and actually gave a pretty accurate description that DIDN'T involve cigarette smoke. So as far as I'm concerned, that alone makes it a winner.

As for wearing it to work...I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

Katie,

I have read your blog and love it! I think you might be one of two that's read mine, so thanks :)

I'm currently obsessed with Elizabeth W Vetiver Body Lotion. I don't know if it smells like the Jo Malone cologne, but you might want to try it out...you can probably Google it, but I get it at a store here in Jackson. I like that it's not so sweet...I always get tons of compliments when I wear it! I might have to try out the Vetyver cologne...