Wednesday, June 3, 2009

long time, no write. lots of life.

I've had a lot of ups in the past few months. Enough, I guess, that I've been negligent when it comes to boring people with my writing. I've also had a couple of major downs. Downs are bad, and I won't go into the details of mine. I will say that inevitably, those downs suddenly bring the ups sharply back into focus. I take so many things in my life for granted...a job I actually love, a beautiful and hilarious niece. A boy who dedicates himself to me, ME of all people, and makes me believe every now and then that I'm the most phenomenal girl in the world. A wonderful, shaggy, unruly dog who fills my hum-drum day-to-day with laughter and cuddling and amazement, and family that are always, always there and who GET me even when they don't. Friends who are intense, funny, oh so smart, passionate, a little nuts, and who keep me afloat and inspire me continuously. And a faith that can get awfully shaky sometimes but that never ever seems to let me abandon it, no matter how hard I try.

The other night a friend and I were talking about one of these recent major downs, and also about faith questions, and also about how the subject of one of the recent downs had this fierce and uncanny ability to squeeze every last drop of life from every detail he encountered. He also managed to find the time and energy to document most of it. I'm going to do my best to do the same.

No comments: