Thursday, January 27, 2011

inspiration treasure trove.

I live in a pretty basic apartment. When I picked up the key it was about as generic as they come...beige carpet, white walls, boring linoleum. The only notable thing about it, really, was the wallpaper in the kitchen and bathrooms...and it was only notable for it's early 90s hunter green/navy/burgundy awfulness. Thankfully my landlord was perfectly OK with my intent to paint over all of it, so my parents (an unstoppable wall painting duo-seriously, they're like a well-oiled machine) set to work covering the walls in the colors I'd selected: a pale gray blue in the living room, a light and minty robin's egg blue in the kitchen and bedrooms, and a warm light peachy pink in my bathroom.

My mother and I have been on something of a mission ever since. After reading countless decorating blog stories featuring characterless apartments and homes that have been transformed into gorgeous, charming abodes, I decided that I might as well try it myself. Since I don't exactly have loads of disposable income for the project, I'm lucky to have a mother who can turn a twenty minute trip to Hobby Lobby into a one-of-a-kind coffee table. Or curtains. Or a lamp. Or headboards. In just a few months my place has already grown significantly cozier and more chic than the blank canvas I moved into. The only challenge is getting a little inspiration for projects to come.

That's where Lonny comes to the rescue. Lonny is (so far) my favorite of the online shelter magazines popping up everywhere on the internet. This is mainly because of its awesome collection of archived images, organized by room. I could spend hours sifting through them (OK, so maybe I have), so maybe some of you would like to as well.

Check it out here!

2 comments:

Lisa Blair said...

Lonny ROCKS!

Sadly, nothing will ever replace my favorite - Cottage Living. Waaah! Gorgeous interiors, beautiful gardens, good recipes, special interest pieces about cool, small towns... I miss it soooo much!

But Lonny, Lonny is definitely cool.

Katie said...

Sigh, I myself was a Domino addict. Adored it. And yes, I feel like nothing will ever replace it. House Beautiful has gotten pretty good though. I should clarify that while I'm glad the online shelter mags exist, I'd still infinitely rather have the actual magazine part in print in my hands. You CAN order print copies of Lonny...but they're $34 a pop!