Wednesday, January 20, 2010

bad blogger. bad.


Yes, it's been awhile. A long while I suppose. I would say that I've been waiting for inspiration, but recently my significant other referred me to a podcast aimed at debunking the idea that "waiting for inspiration" really works. The basic point was that if you're trying to produce something creative, just sit down and do it, whether you feel like it or not.

So, since I'm a writer, I suppose that means I should write. But while I do believe that the above point is correct, I also figure that easing into it isn't a terrible idea either. So I'll call this enough writing for now and share some of my favorite photos instead...taken by said significant other, who is obviously better at just doing it in his particular medium. The above picture, by the way, was taken a few months ago inside what used to be The Gin in Oxford, Mississippi. Very, very creepy, if you're one of the folks who used to practically call this place home on Monday nights. Aaaahh, penny pitchers.

The second photo features Mamasita, a local Oxford cat who calls Off Square Books home. Sometimes you'll find her demurely curled up on a chair or posing in the window, but more often than not she sets up camp right on top of a stack of books. So far I've been lucky, but I've always wondered if anyone has ever scurried into the shop on a deadline, seeking out a particular book, only to find Mamasita sleeping peacefully atop every last copy. What would one do in this situation?

I just love the photograph of O'Neal Bridge. It may not be so interesting to everyone else, but to me it's just wonderfully warm and rosy and familiar. It also makes me long for a nice warm day on the lake in the Shoals.

The last one is me, as you might have guessed. It seems kind of narcissistic to post a picture of myself when I'm sort of bragging on my fella's photographs, but as he'll readily tell you, I very rarely approve of any photograph of myself. So the fact that I enjoy this one makes me feel like it surely has some artistic merit. Obviously I'm a little biased, but I find it hard to believe he's only been shooting for about a year. It's pretty nice to have a personal photographer around to document life, especially when life contains so many great things. Like a post Christmas trip to New Orleans, which I'll post on soon (complete with more pictures from my guy...and maybe a little more writing from me). I'm appreciating the little things in life much more these days for all sorts of reasons, so I'm going to try to check in more often to relate the good stuff.

3 comments:

Leah Maria said...

Love the photos! Also I think it's a great idea for a quasi-photo blog.

Casey said...

I'm with Leah. I like your writing and I like his photos...

Ben Flippo said...

Merlin Mann is the podcaster Katie was referencing. and 43 folders is the name of the podcast as well as the name of his website, www.43folders.com.